1. Travel
Michael Aquino

Malaysia Airlines' ASEAN Pass - Explore Southeast Asia for as low as $229.

By August 8, 2009

Image © Malaysia Airlines. Used with permission.

Southeast Asia local travelers get great discounts on travel. Shouldn't you, too?

Malaysia Airlines' introduction of its ASEAN Pass - a set of 4 prepaid ticket vouchers - ought to make inter-region travel a great deal.

You can buy an ASEAN Pass for as low as $229, and you can jump from Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia to a maximum of four other destinations in Southeast Asia.

“[The ASEAN Pass] offers passengers the best value deal for travel on a maximum of four flights within ASEAN countries for only $229 on economy class and $729 on business class,” explained Malaysia Airlines Chairman Tan Sri Dr. Munir Majid.

You can buy an ASEAN Pass in Kuala Lumpur, or through Malaysia Airlines offices in Singapore, Brunei, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Cambodia or Vietnam.

Passengers get to enjoy Malaysia Airlines' revamped ASEAN menu, with popular Malaysian dishes like Nasi Biryani, Satay, Nasi Lemak, Roti Canai, and Murtabak.

ASEAN Pass validity period is 3 months from the date of purchase with confirmation on the first outbound sector. Subsequent sectors can be open dated.

Comments
August 24, 2009 at 8:14 am
(1) Frankie Tubiera says:

Is it possible to go for this itinerary:

Manila-Kuala Lumpur (1)
Kuala Lumpur-Bali (2)
Yogyakarta-Phnom Penh (3)
Phnom Penh-Hanoi (4)

Please confirm.

Thanks and regards!

August 25, 2009 at 2:01 am
(2) goseasia says:

Frankie, the first 2 trips seem viable, although the latter 2 trips aren’t. No direct flights from Jogja to Phnom Penh exist, nor do flights from PP to Hanoi; to get to these places you’ll have to pass through KL.

I think the best way to create an itinerary is to build it around KL as a hub. You’ll need to go to PP from KL, but you can’t go from Jogja to PP straight.

August 25, 2009 at 3:05 am
(3) goseasia says:

I asked my contacts in Malaysia Airlines, and here’s the reply I got:

—————————-

Hi Mike

Going strictly by ASEAN Pass, the two latter itineraries are not feasible.

What he can do is use ASEAN Pass to travel the following routes:

· Manila-KL
· KL-Bali (then make alternative arrangements to Yogyakarta)
· Yogjakarta-KL
· KL-Phnom Penh or KL-Hanoi

Hope this helps.

October 14, 2009 at 2:50 am
(4) hirofu says:

I am living in Penang, so I want to ask you.
Wheather I can start from Penang or not as Hub instead of KL.

October 14, 2009 at 5:05 am
(5) goseasia says:

Hi Hirofu, I don’t see why not, if you’re only going to Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Medan, or Singapore. Otherwise, you really will have to go through KL to visit other countries covered in the region.

October 21, 2009 at 5:42 am
(6) Nap says:

I want to ask if this is feasible on ASEAN PASS:
Manila – KL
KL – Bali
Bali-Singapore
Singapore-Manila

Are this flights or arrangements works?

October 22, 2009 at 10:54 pm
(7) Anggy Rukman says:

Please advise if this is feasible:

Jakarta-KL
KL-Phuket
Phuket-Bangkok (Alternative flight)
Bangkok-Johor Bahru
Johor Bahru-Jakarta

And please leave a message through my e-mail adress regarding the terms and conditions of this ASEAN Pass

October 26, 2009 at 5:04 am
(8) Ismady says:

If you’re using Asean Pass, all flights will have to be on Malaysia Airlines. If you take a Manila – KL and KL – Bali flights with MH, you have to return using the same route. Unless you take another alternative flight to Singapore, then you can use the Asean Pass to travel from Singapore – KL and KL to Manila.

Hope this helps.

October 27, 2009 at 6:10 am
(9) sabrina says:

We want to go from Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap to Hanoi and then from Saigon to Kuching and back to Kuala Lumpur. Is that possible with the Asean Pass or do we have to go back to KL for some directions?

Thanks.

October 28, 2009 at 4:03 am
(10) Mike Aquino says:

As Ismady said earlier, all flights need to be through Malaysia Airlines. Go to this Malaysia Airlines page and click on “view interactive map”. This will take you to a Flash-based route map; click on each city to see where it connects via Malaysia Airlines. It tells us: KL-Siem Reap, yes; Siem Reap-Hanoi, no; Saigon-Kuching, no; Kuching-KL, yes.

Either you travel the other routes via some other airline, or you can change your schedule to fit Malaysia Airlines routes. Hope that helps!

November 6, 2009 at 5:41 pm
(11) Natacha says:

It seems difficult to buy this asian pass in the office of malaysian airline in Paris France.
They propose the voucher on their internet site. Can we buy the ticket by internet after?

We want to go
1-Kuala Lumpur to Yangoon
2-Yangoon to Penang
3-Penang to Cebu
4-Cebu to kuala lumpur
Is it possible or we shouldreturn by the same route?

Thanks

November 16, 2009 at 12:46 am
(12) Mike Aquino says:

Hi Natacha, please refer to the map I linked to on Comment #10. As long as MAS carries a route to the destination you described, you can use an ASEAN pass for it. For example, KL to Yangon is possible, but not Penang to Cebu. For routes outside of MAS’ route map, you’ll have to use some other carrier, or backtrack a bit.

November 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(13) Natacha says:

I bought a asian pass.
Malaysian airlines in Paris do not know how to deal with the asean pass and then emetting ticket fromthe pass. Finally after 3 weeks an answer! My first flight KL to Rangoon is not anymore on V RBD tariff. Thus they advise me to do everything with kuala lumpur with thus 4 flights and to go-show passengers at the airport subject to seats availability.

MH740 Kuala Lumpur-Yangon/Rangoon Wed, 16 Dec Sold Out on V RBD
MH741 Yangon/Rangoon-Kuala Lumpur Mon, 11 Jan still ok
Kuala Lumpur-Cebu Thu, 14 Jan still ok
MH709 Cebu-Kuala lumpur Sun, 24 Jan still ok

Do you know how I could resolve this problem because if I wait my arrival in KL (the 15 th december) all these flights will be sold out.,,,
Do you think if there is any chance to have “a go-show passengers at the airport availability.”?

Hoping your help

November 22, 2009 at 2:58 pm
(14) imraan says:

hi everyone

I am making my 1st trip to thiland this year and was wondering if i could use the ASEAN Pass for travel only within thailand

Bangkok – Surat thani/Koh Samui (29 dec 09)
Koh Samui/Surat Thani – Bangkok (2 jan 09)
Bangkok – Phuket (11 jan -09)
Phuket – Bangkok (16 jan 09)

November 22, 2009 at 8:36 pm
(15) Mike Aquino says:

Imraan, Malaysia Airlines doesn’t even fly to Surat Thani. Again, please refer to comment #10 and use the map to check if your chosen destination is serviced by Malaysia Airlines in the first place. Thanks.

November 23, 2009 at 4:13 am
(16) Mohd Hisham Saleh says:

Hi Mike, ASEAN Pass is valid for 6 month if you purchase it online; Once you get the voucher – you can to go to ticketing office to get the ticket – ticket issued is valid for 6months from date of issue.

November 23, 2009 at 4:19 am
(17) Mike Aquino says:

Hi Hisham – once you’ve bought the pass, can you have the tickets issued from a ticketing office in Europe? Look at Natacha’s case. Seems Natacha’s not being allowed to get her tickets in Paris, she’s been told to get it in Malaysia instead.

I’ve had that difficulty with other airlines before (not MAS) – some won’t let you book a ticket when you’re outside a particular jurisdiction, you have to go inside the region first before you can book the ticket you want. Is the same case in effect with ASEAN Passes? If that’s true, I think this ought to be mentioned for the benefit of would-be passengers outside southeast Asia.

November 23, 2009 at 5:00 am
(18) Mohd Hisham Saleh says:

Mike, I will get back to you on that;

November 23, 2009 at 7:34 am
(19) yapthomas says:

#13, Natacha.
That is why you use a travel agent to solve your problems.
Instead of you going online to constantly check for V RBD seat availability, you leave it to the agent to constantly check for you. All the hassle is just for a small fee.

Then again, # 17, Mike. The thing now is, every airlines has their own fares marketed at certain region. Every airline has this “yield management” that only allow you to buy X fare from X region. If I can buy KUL-LON-KUL for RM 1000 from London and this fare is meant for sale only in Malaysia, London’s MAS Ticketing doesn’t serve a purpose then.

But then again, to overcome these problems you can book from agent. Not from their shop but from their website. Find a local agent that has their website and buy from them instead. Again, for the savings, you pay a small fee.

Now, tell me. Why is the agent there for? Solve your hassle. I’m an industry person myself. I may be bias, but it is true to 7 out of 10 travelers.

November 25, 2009 at 7:46 am
(20) Natacha says:

Malaysian airlines in Paris told me first to buy the voucher (they did not sell it directly) by a travel agent, they gave me a name but this travel agent dind’t know about it! They tried to contact MA and no more news (case unresolved)
Finally MA told me to buy the voucher by Internet and there would be no problems emetting the tickets afterthat…..
And now I think that they have problems emetting the ticket and even when a check a V RBD avaibility it does not work ! Just in France or all Europe I don’t know!
In anycases I will tell you the end of the story.

December 1, 2009 at 9:05 pm
(21) Mohd Hisham Saleh says:

Natacha, I’m currently monitoring the ASEAN Pass issue raise by you (very positive!) – ASEAN Pass is not available/handle via travel agent, it’s only available online and at Malaysia Airlines ticketing office.

We currently working on dedicated system support tailored from your request on how to redeem Voucher via ticketing office world wide.

The original ASEAN Pass e-voucher stated “Please contact us at 1300 88 3000 (within Malaysia) or +603 7843 3000 (outside Malaysia) to redeem this voucher to a
valid ticket for travel.”

I’m monitoring this forum everyday, my apology for not replying it soonest – thanks @geoasia for the tweet last night;

December 11, 2009 at 1:47 pm
(22) Natacha says:

The problem was “computer crash” in Malaysia Airlines ticketing office in Paris just at the times we asked the asean pass…. Now no problem. As you said we gave them the phone number and they called. We have tickets now…. Because of the wasted time one has to change the Philippines by cambodia and short cut the trip to the Myanmar… Just on times we leave in 3 days!
This asean pass is good, just take care to take it in advance because you need the V-RDN tariff.
Anyway I still have more countries to visit in south Asia
Natacha

December 13, 2009 at 3:52 am
(23) Afar says:

Hi Hisham and All,

With the ASEAN pass,
1) can we book a ticket within 24hrs of departing to destination?
2) Is the ASEAN pass voucher subject to the V-RBD seat availability?

Cheers

February 2, 2010 at 12:27 pm
(24) Jem says:

Hi,
We want to purchase Asean Pass from Holland. We want to book our flights ahead because when we arrive in Kuala Lumpur we have only one night to stay and we want to use the Asean Pass the next day fly to the Philippines so we want to book ahead .
Where can we book our ticket(AseanPass) outside Malaysia before we arrive in KL?
Can we exchange the Asean pass e-voucher to a real ticket here in Holland?
We hope for your immediate response. Thank you in
advance and more power to you.
Jem

February 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm
(25) Fly22 says:

Jem
I am in a similar situation, in Europe but planning travels from the Philippines to KL and Bangkok in April.
No way would I pay for a set of travel vouchers with the hope of (possibly) redeeming for tickets later.
Would there be availability at short notice?
Would I have to spend hours travelling to some remote office in Manila to collect tickets from awkward staff?
If you want a low fare, try Air Asia from KUL to Clark (200 US$ Return).
Or Cebu Pacific from KUL to Clark or Manila if you are Ok arriving at 4:00 in the morning.

February 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm
(26) Fly22 says:

Sorry, my mistake.
There is no Cebu Pacific from MNL to Clark, just Air Asia.
The Cebu Pacific flight is only from KUL to MNL, ariving in MNL at 05:00 in the morning.

February 9, 2010 at 9:40 pm
(27) Stevo says:

I agree with Fly22.
I bought the voucher in Australia and have been having hard times to redeem it.
I had to change my whole itinerary due to seat unavailability. But it didn’t stop there, after I got a booking code, I still had to send my voucher through email and they said they didn’t get it so they cancelled the whole booking. Now I’m working on it all over again.
Please guys, think twice before you decide to purchase the voucher.
However, you may hope that your local malaysia airlines office would be much more professional than in here.

February 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm
(28) jem says:

Hallo Everyone,
I want to share this information to all of you.
First we’ve read the terms and conditions 10 times before we email the Malaysian Airlines in Amsterdam.

We asked for this air avialability:
Flight MH 2612/Mh 708 from KL – Cebu City
Flight MH 709 from Cebu City – Kota Kinabalu
Flight MH 637 from Kuching – Singapore
Flight MH 674 from Sinagpore – Penang
Becuase we know this is international flight.

And they replied to us:
Kuala Lumpur – Cebu is ok
But the rest is not ok because according to them it is domestic route!

I got the feeling that we cannot fly from kuching to Singapore, but they don’t say that in the e-mail and it is not stated on thier website!
Maybe they only wants us to fly to and fro KL. So it’s look like so confusing!

Why not write it clearly then!
And they really think we are stupid!
So many question asked and they only answer 1.
I’m glad we didn’t bought the voucher yet!

February 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm
(29) jem says:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about which flights are covered by the Asean Pass. Before I decide to buy an Asean Pass I first like to know the following:

1) In their Terms and Conditions page under Application it says that MAS domestic routes are not allowed with the Asean Pass.
So could anybody tell me please if the following four routes are allowed and covered by the Asean Pass?

March 21: Flight MH 2612/MH 708 from Kuala Lumpur to Cebu City,
May 6: Flight MH 709 from Cebu City to Kota Kinabalu,
May 31: Flight MH 637 from Kuching to Singapore,
June 3: Flight MH 674 from Singapore to Penang

2) Will the flight from Kuala Lumpur to Cebu City count as 1 flight or 2 flights, because of the 45 minutes stop-over in Kota Kinabalu?

3) In their Terms and Conditions page under Booking Class are mentioned V RBD and VPASS. What does this mean?

4) In their Terms and Conditions page under Waitlist is mentioned the term Show-go passenger. What is meant by a Show-go passenger?

5) In their Terms and Conditions page under Airport Tax both Singapore and the Philippines are NOT included in your list of countries where airport tax must be paid by the passenger. Does this mean that I don’t have to pay any airport tax when flying out from Cebu City and from Singapore?

Could anybody please enlighten me, so I can make a decision whether to buy an Asean Pass or not?

with kind regards,

Jem

February 11, 2010 at 10:55 am
(30) nguyen van cu says:

Is this flight possible with asean pass

1- saigon – kl
2- kl – saigon
3- saigon – kl
4- kl – saigon

Appreciate MAS Rep could answer. Where can we buy the asean pass. Can it be on the net. Pls advice.

TQ

February 12, 2010 at 12:49 pm
(31) Jem Ossen says:

Flights from Cebu to Kota Kinabalu or from Penang to Singapore (and many others for that matter) cannot be booked with an ASEAN pass although they are international Malaysian Airlines routes! You must fly from or to KLIA. If they only mentioned this important restriction on their website a lot of problems and questions would have been avoided. We have sent several emails asking for info to the contact address on the Malaysian Airlines website but they never replied. Their office in Amsterdam is also not very generous with information. First they told us that we could not fly from Cebu to Kota Kinabalu because it was a domestic flight!! Nonsence of course! Only when I asked them if you can fly only to and from KLIA they said that that was indeed the case. I hope this NEW fact will be helpful to all of you.

February 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm
(32) Kim says:

Hi!
I want to go
Philippines (manila) to bangkok
bangkok to singapore
singapore to malaysia
malaysia to philippines (manila)

Is this possible?
Are they available on april 9-april 20.

Is it possible to check the availabilty first before i purchase the voucher?

thank you and hope to hear from you guys soon.

February 17, 2010 at 11:51 pm
(33) jem says:

Hi Kim,

You can only fly FROM or TO Kuala Lumpur, so you have to reschedule. It must also be a (non-domestic) Malaysian Airline route. And yes, you can check availability first, that’s a good thing.

March 13, 2010 at 6:18 pm
(34) Vic says:

Hello,
1)I’m wondering whether it will be possible to purchase Asean pass in London, UK, Malaysian air ticket office.
2) is that possible to travel from KL to Singapore, then from SG to Myanmar and then back to KL?
Cheers.. :)

March 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm
(35) Cass Weinlei says:

DO NOT BUY AN ASEAN PASS….this company does not facilitate to any travelers needs (customer relations) all correspondence is done through email, there is no central figure to talk to to get answers, and all flights must be booked out of Kuala Lumpor so if you dont live there its a waste. I refuse to ever fly with this company again not a single employee was competent enough to deal with any of my requests. For more information on my smear campaign check out Dont Fly Malaysian Air on facebook…consider yourself and your wallet warned

March 27, 2010 at 3:35 am
(36) Mike Aquino says:

Well, at least you’re honest enough to call it a smear campaign.

April 8, 2010 at 11:55 am
(37) betty says:

Hi,
We plan to travel to Hanoi, siem reap, bangkok, kota kinabalu.
Kindly advise is Asean Pass workable?

April 14, 2010 at 11:31 pm
(38) Mike Aquino says:

Hi Betty, I want to point you to a comment I posted earlier: all flights need to be through Malaysia Airlines, traveling to/from KL

Generally speaking you can use your ASEAN pass to travel to/from KL to the destinations you listed, but you might be better off traveling some routes on other airlines, rather than stopping over at KL each time.

Hope that helps!

June 12, 2010 at 12:33 am
(39) Chel says:

Dear Mr. Mike

i read all the comments on this page about the confusing MH ASEAN PASS. having mentioned that the travel should always connect to/from KL, me and my friend were thinking if our plan below would work:

KL-Bali
Bali-KL
KL-Manila
Manila-KL

also, our travel plan is on October. Should i check all the availability of the flights now, list the flight numbers and timings as reference, before i buy the pass? or buy the pass first, then check with the agents for availability.

by the way, which email address are you using to reach their dept that takes care of this promo. Many thanks and more power!

June 13, 2010 at 2:37 am
(40) Mike Aquino says:

Hi Ms. Chel, as long as the routes exist for the destinations you’ve set, it seems all right. I suggest you reserve the flights first the regular way, before buying the pass. That way you can be sure the flights you want are available.

I’m not at liberty to divulge the emails of my contacts in MAS, sorry, but I can contact them to alert them to your question. Bon voyage!

June 16, 2010 at 2:00 am
(41) Chel says:

thanks for the reply Mike!

but what do u mean by reserve the flights first the regular way?

June 17, 2010 at 2:33 am
(42) Ismady says:

Hi Chel,

The travel plan is permited using the ASEAN pass. Only the first sector needed to be confirm. If you purchase online, you need to exchange the voucher to a ticket at our nearest ticket office.

Pls take note that all flights need to be on Malaysia Airlines when using the pass.

August 23, 2010 at 5:24 pm
(43) Erik says:

Hi!

I was thinking to use the pass for the following travel in October/November:

Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur – Manila
Manila – Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur – Bangkok

Could you please tell me whether it would be smart or even possible to book all segment in advance to be sure to get a seat. I must travel on specific dates. Thank you!

August 24, 2010 at 6:30 pm
(44) Nazir says:

I am planning to purchase ASEAN pass for trip to following, is it covered? What is the cost in US$?
1. KL – Bali
2. Bali – Phuket
3. Phuket to Myanmar
4. Myanmar to KL

Can I add more destinations? Like KL to Karachi and back?

September 6, 2010 at 5:17 am
(45) Ismady says:

Hi Erik,

Your travel itinerary is possible. Kindly proceed to our nearest ticket office to book the dates.

Hi Nazir,

The pass is only applicable on MAS network within South East Asia.

Hope this helps.

September 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm
(46) Harry says:

Hi!
Is it possible to use the ASEAN Pass with another person?
For example; Mr.X is the buyer/holder of the pass and flys togehter with Mrs. Y on the same flight? Or must Mrs.Y have her own pass?
Thx

November 10, 2010 at 7:44 am
(47) cjtroc says:

Is it possible with asean pass:
- Kul Yan
- Yan KUL
- Kul Manilla
- Manilla Kul

What will be the price in 2011?

Thanks

April 30, 2012 at 1:52 am
(48) Kathryn Watanabe says:

Say, you got a nice post.Really thank you!